Consequences of multiple use of pen needles
What is lipohypertrophy?
- This means changes, hardening of the subcutaneous fatty tissue.
What causes lipohypertrophy?
- The re-use of damaged pen needles can lead to skin and tissue injuries.
- This, together with frequent injections in so-called "favourite sites", can lead to lipohypertrophy.
What are the consequences of lipohypertrophy?
- This can lead to unexplainable blood glucose fluctuations.
- Injections into hardened tissue affect insulin absorption making the insulin dose effectiveness difficult to calculate
How can lipohypertrophy be avoided?
- Use a new pen needle for every injection.
- Change the injection site after every injection (rotation principle).
- Check injection sites regularly and consult your healthcare professional in case of conspicuous occurences.