Single use pen needles
Risks of multiple use
Multiple use of the pen needle can lead to the following risks:
- The needle is already somewhat blunted after single use, the lubricant film can show signs of wear and the tip of the needle can be deformed:
- Injections become more painful.
- This can lead to small injuries or bruising.
- The pen needle is no longer sterile after initial use:
- Re-use is not hygienic.
- Increased risk of infections.
- Insulin can crystallise in the pen needle:
- The pen needle may become clogged and a safe insulin injection is therefore no longer
- This can lead to dosage errors and unexpectedly high blood glucose levels.
- Presence or increase in size of air bubbles in the cartridge:
- Insulin may drip out of pen needle (during storage).
- Insulin dose becomes inaccurate.